The course aims to examine main ecological issues in Greece. The purpose of this course is to teach students how report and write articles effectively about environmental issues and review topics of scientific importance of the area. Senior journalists and environmental experts are guest speakers. Students, also, go on field trips and have in-class discussion with representatives of ecological organizations and other environmental experts. They can also visit ecological food and wine producers and small agrotοurism enterprises. The core of the class consists of environmental news stories that students should prepare.
- Understanding of the concept and the practices of environmental journalism.
- Awareness of the meaning of the environmental issues in our world.
- Understand the main scientific definitions for the environment.
- Understand the new aspects of ecological crises.
- Analyze critically the ecological issues in modern world
- Define the core concepts of environmental journalism
- Write articles following professional standards for style, structure and information- gathering
- Build on information-gathering with interviews with environmental experts
Lectures, workshops, in-class presentations, literature study, written assignments, environmental trips.
Type of work
|Lectures||Thirteen 3-hours lectures||39|
|Environmental trips||Trips in agrotourism enterprises||15-20|
|Independent study||Study of compulsory and optional literature||40-45|
|Written assignments-Presentations||Written assignments
Type of assessment
Impact on final grade
Date of assessment
|Presentation of written assignment||1-2||20%||8th-12th week|
|Written assignment (short)||3-4||30%||5th-8th week|
|Written assignment (essay)||1-4||50%||14th week|
Annin, P., The great lakes water wars. Island Press, N.Y., 2006.
Corbett, J., Communicating Nature. How we create and understand Environmental Messages. Island Press, N.Y., 2006.
Friedman, T., Hot, fat and crowed: Why the World needs a green revolution-and how we can renew our global future. Penguin Books Ltd, UK, 2008.